Saturday, March 31, 2007

New Sports and Media Class


The Sports and Media class that is being offered by Mr.Popp brings many new opportunities to students. It is by far the most interesting course that I have taken throughout my college career. The class is based around how to deal with the media and how to be the media. That is the least interesting part of the class, we get to the good stuff when we have guest speakers and take field trips. So far in the class we have got "backstage" at Papa John Stadium, the Louisville Slugger Field, watched a live news broadcast, and got to listen to Bobby Valvano speak. Mr.Popp's networking skills have given us many experiences that most people do not get to have. Connie Ferch stated, "Because of the class, I realized what I really want to do with my career. It enlightened me on what goes on behind the scenes at places. Because of this class, I got an internship with the tv station." Along with the places and the people that we have got to see and meet, we are also doing lots of hands-on stuff that many of us in the class will have to take with us eventually in our careers. We have to do media releases, which SID's have to write basically everyday. It is nice to hear how to write a successful one by an actual SID himself. We also are currently working on Media Guides. It is a long, tedius task, but there is a nice rewarding feeling to know that it is complete, and it will be a good selling point on my resume. I definitely would recommend this class to anyone that is trying to get into the sports world. Regardless of what the emphasis of what you want to do is, this class touches on a little bit of everything. It also opens the door to many networking opportunites that could become useful for a long time career.

No comments: