Monday, April 9, 2007

Bellarmine Track and Cross Country Star Prevailing Despite Setbacks (pt. 2)


This was uncharted waters for the young Hickey who at the time was a sophomore who had never accomplished such a feat.

“You can’t imagine, it was amazing.” Hickey said, “I was nervous though, I was a very low seed, but the coaches told me it was a learning experience, most were seniors and I was just a sophomore. They just told me to do my best because I was capable of doing well.”

However, as the expectations grew, injuries to her hamstring hampered her performance on the field, leaving teammates room to step up, and Hickey frustrated on the sidelines and unsure of her future.

This article is the one from the Bellarmine athletics site that gives a preview for the season that just ended, as you can see by this Hickey was expected to the one of the most relied on runners.
http://www.bellarmine.edu/athletics/news.asp?id=397

Bellarmine distance running Coach Kris Horton had nothing but praises for the now junior, Hickey.

“(Katie) is very positive, talented, and hardworking,” Horton said, “sometimes she works so hard I have to put a leash on her. She is always doing something.”
He also acknowledged her accomplishments from the past season. Even then she was fighting injuries, as well as being young against many older competitors.

“All the coaches kept telling Katie to keep her sights set on nationals.” Horton continued, “She did have her setbacks (referring to Katie’s nagging injuries), but every time she raced, she raced well.”

Next time I will conclude my postings on Katie, they will include more from Katie herself, as well as some of her off the field activities.

No comments: