Thursday, April 19, 2007

Coach Smith's Still Successful (Part 2)

Outside the Court

“With myself being such a young coach straight out of college, it’s been a learning process to be under someone with so much experience and success,” stated Peetz. “It’s making me better.” And that’s what Smith prides himself with the most.

“The most rewarding thing about being a coach is watching the girls in years to come having successful careers. They come in just out of high school, and we help mold them into who they become,” states Smith.

Trisha Bennett, a current player, states, “He is a remarkable coach that a player can not take lightly. He is one of the best coaches in NCAA history and I feel that I am learning from him every single day. He is the type of person that will always have an influence in my life.” In most cases, anyone who has played an organized sport can relate to how the experience has helped them with their careers. Smith is someone that if a person pays attention too, he can teach him/her a life lesson that the person can carry with them forever.

Smith’s Future

Coach Smith starts a tradition with every basketball team that he takes over. He believes he has found home with the Bellarmine Knights. “The only way I will coach at a Division I level is if Bellarmine goes D1. I wouldn’t want to coach at D1 level just to say I did it,” said Smith. “I would rather be at a school with tradition that is competing with the best schools around the country rather than at a struggling D1 program.

Smith has many things to look forward to in the upcoming season, 2007-2008, considering he lost only two seniors. He should look forward to the awards and recognition that will be coming to him throughout the rest of his career.

No comments: